Subject: sshd1 spins with defunct shell (Was: ncftp 3.0.1/gcc - runs fine under NT4, hangs under 95. Also, sshd problems)
From: David Starks-Browning <[email-masked]>
To: "Richard Stanton" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 14:25:53 +0100

On Tuesday 2 May 00, Richard Stanton writes:
> One more problem. I've had the sshd server 1.2.26? running on my NT machine
> for a while. Since the upgrade to the latest cygwin release, I can still
> connect, but when I log off the sshd1 process on my NT machine never dies,
> and just sits there sucking up CPU cycles until I next reboot. Each
> connection starts a new sshd1 process. Any suggestions?

I believe that each connection *should* start a new sshd1 process.
This is by design.  But the "finished" sshd1 processes should not spin
like that.  Unfortunately, I have the same problem.

I'm using ssh-1.2.27 binaries as provided by Sergey Okhapkin, with
Cygwin-1.1.0 (full install of latest), on NT 4.0 Workstation (SP5).

After logging in with ssh, then exiting that shell, 'ps -elf' shows
something like this:

    PID  PPID  PGID   WINPID  UID TTY    STIME COMMAND
   1030  1002  1002      273  500  -1 13:45:37 /usr/local/sbin/sshd1.exe
   1032  1030  1032      281 1024   5 13:45:41 <defunct>
   1000  1000  1000       97  500   0 11:39:07 /usr/local/sbin/inetd.exe
   1002     1  1002      130  500  -1 11:39:09 /usr/local/sbin/sshd1.exe

The <defunct> pid 1032 had been /usr/bin/bash.exe.  The parent
sshd1.exe (pid 1030) is now spinning.

Strangely, different ssh clients behave differently upon exiting.
"SSH Version 1.2.26 [alpha-dec-osf4.0]" hangs upon typing 'exit', but
SecureCRT (demo) on Windows98 exits completely.  Note that sshd1.exe
is left spinning in both cases.  (The different behaviour could be a
race condition, since the two ssh clients are widely different
internet-distances away from the remote host.)

I would love to fix this.  Does anyone have sshd1 working better?

Regards,
David

 -------------------------------------------------------------------
  David Starks-Browning                  | [email-masked]
  EMBL Outstation --                     |
  The European Bioinformatics Institute  |
  Wellcome Trust Genome Campus           | tel: +44 (1223) 494 616
  Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SD, UK       | fax: +44 (1223) 494 468
 -------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]