Subject: Re: Lack of Cygwin contributors? Was: How is textmode/binmode determined ...
From: [email-masked]
To: Kendall Bennett <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 18:46:40 -0400

On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 01:42:32PM -0800, Kendall Bennett wrote:
>[...]
> If I assign my copyright for a piece of code to someone else, I lose 
> *ALL* rights to that code and *CANNOT* use that code myself for my 
> own purposes. [...]

Since you are modifying and distributing GPL'ed code under the terms
of the GPL, you retain *all* the rights and obligations granted and
required by that license.

Your complaint, then, can only be that by being required to assign
your copyright to Cygnus, you no longer posses the right to
*relicense* your code under *non-GPL* terms, while Cygnus does.

That is essentially the same gripe that advocates of BSD/XFree-style
licenses have have against the GPL for ages.  So, unless you're
arguing that the GPL is flawed in general and Cygnus/RedHat
therefore shouldn't be releasing software that uses it (like Gnome,
the Linux kernel, gcc, etc.), I'm not sure if you've thought your
argument all the way through.

-Kevin

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]