Subject: Re: perl scripts, file permissions, and external apps
From: Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]>
To: Brian Sturk <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 11:14:42 +0200

Brian Sturk wrote:
> 
> Hi I have what is probably a pretty stupid question but
> I've read the manuals, searched the archives etc and couldn't find
> an answer.  I'm updating perl scripts using gvim 5.6 for Win32 and
> after saving my changes the permissions on the file change so
> that I have to do a 'chmod 777 *.pl' to be able to execute them
> again.

I would like to get some more information. I wonder why you
have no execute permission afterwards. This is uncommon when
playing with permissions in plain NT.

- Which version of the dll are you using?
- What are the permissions of the parent directory of the files?
- What are the permissions of the files before editing?
- And after editing?

If you are using the net release 1.1, it would be best if
you send the output of `getfacl' of the directory and an
example file.

> Is there anything I can do to keep the permissions from changing
> rather than installing a different ( cygwin friendly ) version of Vim.

No. vim for windows has no relation to the settings which
are made in cygwin. Typically the permissions are _not_
set. This has the result that the permissions which are
set in the parent directory's ACL are used for new files.
Unfortunately, vim erases the original file and writes the
changes as a new file. No problem on U*Xish systems (like
cygwin) but on plain NT.

Why not trying vim for cygwin? It works as well as the win32
version, hmm, ok, without mouse support, but who cares?

Corinna

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]