Subject: Re: Lack of Cygwin contributors? Was: How is textmode/binmode determined ...
From: "Kendall Bennett" <[email-masked]>
To: DJ Delorie <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 18:59:04 -0800

DJ Delorie <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > So now ask yourself this question: Why does Cygnus require you to
> > assign copyright to them and not the FSF?? So they can sell
> > commercial licensed versions of all code contributed to the Cygwin
> > core library.
> 
> A related question - why does the FSF require you to assign
> copyright to them? 

For FSF projects this is specifically so that they control the 
copyright on all source code, and can ensure the source would never 
be used for commercial purposes.

There are tons of GPL'ed and LGPL'ed projects out there that are not 
owned by the FSF, but simply have the GPL license applied with the 
copyright own by multiple developers and contributors.

Regards,

+---------------------------------------------------------------+
|   SciTech Software - Building Truly Plug'n'Play Software!     |
+---------------------------------------------------------------+
| Kendall Bennett          | Email: [email-masked]    |
| Director of Engineering  | Phone: (530) 894 8400              |
| SciTech Software, Inc.   | Fax  : (530) 894 9069              |
| 505 Wall Street          | ftp  : ftp.scitechsoft.com         |
| Chico, CA 95928, USA     | www  : http://www.scitechsoft.com  |
+---------------------------------------------------------------+

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]