Subject: Re: Lack of Cygwin contributors? Was: How is textmode/binmode determined ...
From: "Kendall Bennett" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 15:33:22 -0800

DJ Delorie <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > > If we don't sell such licenses, then there would be less
> > > cygwin development.  How would that help?
> > 
> > Hm. Your argument isn't logical.
> 
> If we didn't sell licenses, Red Hat would re-assign three
> full-time cygwin developers to other projects, and we wouldn't work
> on Cygwin any more, or at least, not as much as we do now.  I don't
> see how illogical that argument can be. 

Ok. Let me make a few clear points to wrap up my discussion:

 1. Chris was complaining about the lack of *external* contributions 
to the project. Whether you like it or not, the current licensing of 
Cygwin has a significant effect on whether some developers 
contribute. It certainly has for me.

 2. If the licensing was changed, I believer more external developers 
would contribute to the project.

 3. If Cygnus needs to sell expensive commercial licenses of Cygwin 
in order to continue development, then the Open Source principles 
have simply failed for this project. 

> > On the other hand, Cygwin sells licenses, and it seems that
> > developers are being put off while Cygnus are crying out for people
> > to help. So selling licenses can't be said to necessarily promote
> > development.
> 
> Selling licenses adds three full-time developers to Cygwin.  If
> that's not promoting development, what is? 

Sure, but don't complain about the lack of external contributions 
then. Live with the fact that you guys get paid to work full-time on 
it and no-one else can. So you have to do all the work to make it 
better.

Regards,

+---------------------------------------------------------------+
|   SciTech Software - Building Truly Plug'n'Play Software!     |
+---------------------------------------------------------------+
| Kendall Bennett          | Email: [email-masked]    |
| Director of Engineering  | Phone: (530) 894 8400              |
| SciTech Software, Inc.   | Fax  : (530) 894 9069              |
| 505 Wall Street          | ftp  : ftp.scitechsoft.com         |
| Chico, CA 95928, USA     | www  : http://www.scitechsoft.com  |
+---------------------------------------------------------------+

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]