Subject: Re: Lack of Cygwin contributors? Was: How is textmode/binmode det ermined ...
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], DJ Delorie <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 12:08:39 -0400

On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 10:24:09AM -0400, Christopher Jones wrote:
>What you don't seem to get is that 3 full time developers are worth
>considerably more to cygwin than 3 people who like to hack on cygwin in
>their "spare" time.

That's true.  I would probably still work on cygwin in my spare time,
though.  In fact, most of my development participation is actually in my
spare time since I spend the rest of my time managing two groups.

I hate to weaken the argument, but I have to be honest.  :-)

I do think that, if I ever stopped working for Red Hat, for whatever
reason, I would probably seriously considering curtailing my cygwin
development efforts, though.

>Feel fortunate that any cygwin developer even responded to your less
>than thoughtful diatribe.  RMS advocates that although it would be nice
>for free software developers to spend some time answering questions
>about the software...  often it would better for those developers to
>spend that time hacking instead.  So get over it.  I'd prefer the folks
>at cygwin responded to real questions about real problems and focused
>less on useless, time-wasting bickering.

I expected exactly this kind of response when I started this discussion.
I do not think that Simon's response was a diatribe at all.  He's
entitled to speak his mind and I think he did so without rancor.  We
can all agree to peacefully disagree.  It's what makes this nation, er,
internet great.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]