Subject: Re: Lack of Cygwin contributors? Was: How is textmode/binmodedetermined ...
From: Adrian Phillips <[email-masked]>
To: Charles Wilson <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: 01 May 2000 09:39:44 +0200

>>>>> "Charles" == Charles Wilson <[email-masked]> writes:

<snip>

    Charles> 4. Cygnus has invested lots of money and paid the
    Charles> salaries of lots of developers for a long time. They own
    Charles> the original copyright, and it's their privelege to
    Charles> release the software under any license they like -- GPL
    Charles> [free(speech) for free(beer)] or proprietary
    Charles> [non-free(closed) for non-free($$$$)]. They could release
    Charles> it under the Artistic license or the Debian license if

Hmm, one small point, Debian doesn't have a license - it has the
Debian Free SOftware Guidelines from which Open Source was written;
the DSFG specifies which licenses it considers free, GPL, BSD,
Artistic, the new QPL license, are all examples of "free" licenses
(again free means free speech not free beer). Check out www.debian.org
for the DSFG text.

    Charles> they liked. Whatever -- it's their product. If some
    Charles> bonehead company that doesn't "get" open source comes
    Charles> along and says, "We'd love to use Cygwin -- but we're
    Charles> stupid and we'd like to insure our eventual demise by
    Charles> keeping our code closed." What should Cygnus do?  Reply,
    Charles> "No, go use that MS product they just absorbed." ??

<snip>

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]