Subject: Re: Building cygwin on Win98 system
From: Tadeusz Liszka <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 18:31:18 -0500

Chris Faylor wrote:
> 
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 10:24:52AM -0700, Mindy Beseler wrote:
> >I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.  I have tried this at
> >least a 10 times and get the same results each time!!
> 
> Unfortunately, what you're doing wrong is building on Windows 98.
> 
> The latest cygwin snapshot may work better but there are never any
> guarantees with Windows 9x.
> 

I have missed this disclaimer in the documentation :-) Is there any document
listing known problems / limitations with Win98 besides three sentences in the
installation manual ? I have limited type application and it almost works for
me:

I tried to use CygWin to build code, gnu make using official Microsoft c/Fortran
compilers, so my build structure is identical on Windows and Unix. It worked on
NT (I'm sure that there are unresolved problems when calling Win32 native
programs from bash (repetitive multilevel calls typical for make), and I had to
convert all tools to CygWin, but compilers dont seem to cause any problems), but
failed miserably on Win98. I had to redistribute source files more evenly to
reduce amount of files processed in one pass (it is multilevel make but this
surprisingly was not a problem) and also it works better when I got rid of ash
and tcsh, (esp. inside make sh was replaced with bash,) but it still
occasionally crashes, and when it does it is 'fun' to watch. In any case the
behavior was consistent with memory problems i.e. overstepping of some fixed
size buffers.

> cgf
> 
> --
> Want to unsubscribe from this list?
> Send a message to [email-masked]

-- 
Tadeusz
:: The public opinion should be alarmed by its own nonexistence
:: (512)467-0618 ext. 526 ::       Stanislaw J. Lec, trans. TJL

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]