Subject: Re: CYGWIN-1.1.0 trouble: 40 to 80 sec delay if no network connection
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 16:18:06 -0400

On Tue, Apr 25, 2000 at 07:30:57PM +0200, Ulrich Jakobus wrote:
>No problem, the command runs without any visible delay and terminates
>correctly. Now I remove the network cable, and run ".\strace .\pwd" again.
>The execution seems to hang completely (not only 40 to 80 sec delay, I 
>have been waiting for more than 10 minutes now), the last lines on the 
>screen are
>
> 3119 1019256 [main] pwd 1000 sig_send: returning 0 from sending signal -2
>12037 1031293 [main] pwd 1000 internal_getlogin: Domain: DEIHF
> 3200 1034493 [main] pwd 1000 internal_getlogin: Login Server: IHFBDC
> 3058 1037551 [main] pwd 1000 internal_getlogin: Windows Username: Jakobus
> 3083 1040634 [main] pwd 1000 lookup_name: name  : Jakobus
>
>Does this information help? Even if after 10 minutes I attach the network
>cable again, the process remains hanging.

It may help Corinna figure out what's happening.  I was hoping that you
would actually use the command that I indicated and might provide the
output of the "somefile" which would provide a lot more context than the
above.

>I should perhaps mention that I work on a notebook computer which has a
>nice suspend function to save the main memory to disk and resume operation
>without rebooting. For this reason, I almost never boot, and when I work
>at home (without network connection), I simply switch on the notebook computer
>again and continue from where I stopped. I have absolutely no problems
>with other programs (of course when my e-mail program wants to make a POP
>connection it complains about being unable to connect, or if I want to print
>to a network printer), everything else runs fine, also the old CYGWIN-B20.1 
>did run without any trouble this way.

I think I'm going to have to invent an email filter that weeds out the phrases
like this:

"(works|operates|runs).*(fine|swell|great|with no problem|perfectly).*\
(on|under|using) *(Linux|UNIX|HPUX|(Cygwin|gnu-win32) B[12][0-9](.[0-9])?)"

I think it will probably cut down on email traffic to this mailing list by
10 - 20%.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]