Subject: Re: [ANN] PW32 the (alternative) Posix-over-Win32 layer 0.3.0 released
From: Jeff Sturm <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 19:28:46 -0500

Chris Faylor wrote:
> I have no problem with comparative benchmarks (and I don't think that
> cygwin will be a speed demon).

Don't be so sure.  I've used GCC on Interix for a while... let's just
say that Cygwin rocks.

The Interix product relies heavily on the POSIX subsystem, instead of
shared memory as Cygwin does.  For many of my user applications the
subsystem process actually consumes more CPU time than the application!

Presumably, the tradeoff is between performance and security.  Interix
isn't vulnerable to the same exploits as Cygwin.

--
Jeff Sturm
[email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]