Subject: Re: Is conversion of debug format of g++ to a native Windows format possible?
From: Mikey <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 19:14:41 -0700

The "New" windows debug format is coff,
which gdb understands just fine.

VTune may only recognize CodeView, I don't know
but compiling/linking with /Z7 and /ZI  will allow
you to use gdb with any MS .obj.

You can force the Microsoft Compiler/Linker to store the debug
information in the *.exe files

Look at the following help file from Developer Studio
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Note      To create a library that contains debugging information
without using .PDB files, you must select the compilers C7 Compatible
(/Z7) option and clear the linkers Use Program Database (/PDB:NONE)
option. If you use the precompiled headers options, debugging
information for both the precompiled header and the rest of the source
code is placed in the PDB. The /Yd option is ignored when the Program
Database option is specified.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000 11:16:39 -0500, you wrote:

>On Thu, Mar 09, 2000 at 04:53:23PM +0100, Max Griessl wrote:
>>Is it possible to convert the debug format produced by g++ (i.e.  for
>>C++ files) to a native Windows format which is correctly handled by
>>e.g.  VTune of Intel?
>
>I wish.  I would love to be able to convert back and forth between the
>two formats or, better, have bfd/gdb understand Microsoft format.
>
>I'm not aware of any such functionality but I'm sure that Mumit Khan can
>give a definitive answer.
>
>cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]