Subject: Re: Executing .bat files from bash
From: Bob McGowan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 10:12:44 -0800

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> I've searched the archives for this and can only find very old articles
> that don't
> directly answer my question.
> 
> I've noticed in the current b20.1 release, that I can run a bat file simply
> by
> typing it's name.  I haven't seen the need to type "cmd /c <file>.bat",
> which
> was suggested in the older archived mail.  All I need to type is <file>.bat
> and the bat file will execute.  However, I'm wondering if I can set an
> environment variable or a registry key or something that will eliminate
> the need to type the ".bat" extension.  Basically, .exe files don't need
> it,
> .sh files don't need it -- anyway that .bat can be made to not need the
> extension to execute?  I'll even patch bash if I have to.

Dan,

I don't have a patch for bash but a suggestion that might help, assuming
that the batch files you use are "stable" (total number constant,
infrequent additions or deletions from the list) so maintenance would be
easier.

Create a series of aliases for your batch commands in the .bashrc file:

    alias file=file.bat
    alias file1=file1.bat
    etc...

-- 
Bob McGowan
Staff Software Quality Engineer
VERITAS Software
[email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]