Subject: Re: Compiling Mesa from CVS under Cygwin B20.1
From: Sven Panne <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 16:39:58 +0100

Jeffrey Juliano wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Sven Panne wrote:
> [...]
> > the compilation of GLUT yields tons of macro redefinition
> > errors. This is probably due to discrepancies between Cygwin's
> > and Microsoft's header files
> 
> No.  It's due to "WIN32" instead of "_WIN32" in (one of?) the
> glut .h file(s). Change that (I think in two places) and it will
> compile.

Hmm, Mesa's gl.h and glu.h contain lots of _WIN32 and GL/GLU
compile fine.

> You need to make yourself a makefile, too, but it can be dirt
> simple.

?? Mesa comes with lots of Makefiles and an alternative way via
autoconf, so why should I write another one?

> Oh, I used the msvc GL header files.  Don't know about the mesa
> ones.

Now I'm completely confused: Mesa comes with its own header files
and of course those are the ones used during the GL/GLU/GLUT build.
Mesa is (almost) OpenGL 1.2, so the M$/SGI headers contain only a
subset (something between 1.0 and 1.1, IIRC).

Could you explain exactly what you have downloaded or checked out
and how you compiled things?

> But unless you are hacking on mesa (good for you if you are), why
> not use the opengl32.dll and glu32.dll that comes with mswindows?

Versionitis, see above.

> They will automatically use the optimized drivers for your graphics
> card.  Does mesa in win32 now use the drivers to get good
> acceleration?

Mesa can use DirectX drivers under Windows, so what I basically
hope for is an accelerated OpenGL 1.2 under cygwin.  :-)

> [...] The reason I use win32 is so that OpenGL uses the
> vendor-provided drivers for my accelerated graphics card.
> Otherwise, I'd probably run my project in linux.

I'm using a TNT2 card with Linux+Mesa quite happily for some time
now and can highly recommend this combination. Although the
acceleration is not as good as it will be under XFree4.0 (you can
lose up to 50% speed, depending on what you do, sometimes much less),
I don't have to reboot when my programs go astray... :-]

Cheers,
   Sven
-- 
Sven Panne                                        Tel.: +49/89/2178-2235
LMU, Institut fuer Informatik                     FAX : +49/89/2178-2211
LFE Programmier- und Modellierungssprachen              Oettingenstr. 67
mailto:[email-masked]            D-80538 Muenchen
http://www.informatik.uni-muenchen.de/~Sven.Panne

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]