Subject: Re: Undefined reference to '_ctype_'?
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: "Charles S. Wilson" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 21:24:44 -0500

On Sun, Feb 27, 2000 at 07:00:25PM -0500, Charles S. Wilson wrote:
>  You make a number of very good points in your recent message, and
>I both sympathize and agree with your stance. However, I am one of 
>the folks who sent in a "bash is using 100% CPU" reports with no
>debugging information.
>
>> This week, I have spent considerable time trying to track down the
>> various "bash is taking all of my CPU" problems despite the almost total
>> lack of debugging information offered by any of the people reporting the
>> problem.
>> 
>
>I would have liked to send in debugging info -- but had no idea how to
>do it.  If I can't run bash, then I cannot run gdb either.  Since the
>native (microsoft-supplied) debugging tools are so poor, and cygwin-gdb
>is not accessible, debugging a bash-related problem is quite a
>challenge.  It's possible I suppose to use a mingw-based gdb to debug
>the cygwin-based bash, but I don't have mingw setup on my machine.

My understanding was that, in this case, the problem was not that bash
was inoperable.  It was that it was using a lot of CPU time.  That's
doesn't mean that it isn't working.  Also, AFAICT, gdb should still work
in this scenario even if bash is broken.

Anyway, the way that I debug the DLL is to put gdb and a "working" dll
in the same directory and then use that to debug a broken dll.  Since
Windows will find a DLL in the same directory as the executable, this
works fine.

You can also get debugging output from the strace program.

>Anyway, that's my "excuse".  I'm sure that many others were in the same
>boat -- they wanted to help and wanted to provide useful debugging
>info.  But the failure (bash) was in the critical path for obtaining
>that info.  NOTE to others on the list: please, don't clutter the list
>with me-too messages, even if this description matches your experience.

Well, all you, or anyone, had to do was ask.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]