Subject: Re: stupid question??
From: Jeff Sturm <[email-masked]>
To: Andre Oliveira da Costa <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 12:04:51 -0500

Andre Oliveira da Costa wrote:
> 
> After using Linux/IRIX/Solaris/AIX for development for more than 4
> years, I am now forced to use NT because of job constraints. If it
> weren't for Cygwin, life as a programmer would be unbearable with all
> the usual Micro$oft crap like Visual C++, command.com, BAT scripts, PC
> Anywhere, etc. (and not to mention the countless reboots for _every_
> little piece of software you install, from email clients to text
> editors. It's almost unbelievable. Not completely satisfied with the
> term "downtime" for its OSs, Micro$oft created the term "reboot-time".

Sorry to hear that...

> PS: I will finally, after some struggle, have a Linux server on my
> intranet, so that some of the development we do and some services we
> provide to our intranet users will run on it (after all, the development
> of many of our systems was done with Cygwin, which makes them portable
> "out of the box"). It's a small step, but it surely is forward ;)

Linux is good for cross-compiling too.  We do regular builds on Linux
and Solaris.  It is certainly faster and more stable than building
sources under Cygwin.

I was in a situation like yours 2 years ago.  Our company was all
Windows NT (and a few stray Macs).  I started the takeover by
introducing CVS for source control and release management.  Later we
started source builds on Linux too.  Eventually our managers figured out
that we could avoid all this Cygwin/NT hassle by just installing Linux
on the workstations.  We let them think it was their idea ;)

--
Jeff Sturm
[email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]