Subject: Re: stupid question??
From: Jeff Sturm <[email-masked]>
To: Cygnus - Admin <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 13:35:06 -0500

Cygnus - Admin wrote:
> 
> Ok, I have to take issue with something here. For a few weeks now I've
> been skimming the posts about all these ports to cygwin
> with NT/95/98/whatever..inetd, etc, etc..
> And my question is, WHY? If you want all these unix programs, why not just
> use unix?

Everybody has their own reasons, as I am sure you are discovering.

Ours are twofold: I need a build environment on NT that understands our
bash scripts, makefiles, etc.  While I can cross-compile everything,
sometimes it's just nice to build/debug/run on one host.

We also rely on Cygwin for remote administration.  We manage several NT
servers that are physically remote to us.  NT has dismal remote
administration tools (i.e., none), so Cygwin/inetd/telnetd has saved our
butts many times over.

--
Jeff Sturm
[email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]