Subject: RE: Making GCC 2.95.2 Problems
From: "Boyer,Galen" <[email-masked]>
To: "'dony'" <[email-masked]>, "Boyer,Galen" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 08:22:06 -0500

I am sorry.  The link I referenced was from Earnie Boyd that I got from this
group a while back.  I spent a decent amount of time there in trying to set
up my directory structure and mounting the drives.  I followed the links at
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/ to download gcc 2.95 and the available
instruction for setting this up for doing the configuring and making of gcc.
Earnie's page had a "good starting point" for my directory structure, but
nothing directly related to gcc.  I was pretty sure that I didn't have my
directories mounted correctly.  I wasn't trying anything fancy and the gcc
stuff wasn't working.  I was trusting that the gcc stuff would work if I
followed their instructions, so I was guessing that Cygnus was getting
confused with how I had set up my environment.

For Dony, the text file attached is Earnie's page that I was referencing.  I
also spent a good amount of time in
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/cygwin-ug-net/cygwin-ug-net.html, which
you can follow links to from Earnie's page.  This is the Cygwin's users
guide.  Very informative as well.  Maybe I am not reading enough or putting
the correct readings together?

-----Original Message-----
From: dony [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2000 2:49 AM
To: Boyer,Galen
Subject: Re: Making GCC 2.95.2 Problems

Hello,
       I cannot visit
http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/GettingStarted.html

Can you download this page and mail a copy to me, please?
I will follow this page to  build my gcc tools.
Thanks very much.
dony

"Boyer,Galen" wrote:

> I downloaded the gcc-2.95.2.tar.bz2, unzipped it into a "src" dir
underneath
> my "local" dir.  My mounting looks like this:
>
> c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\etc /etc                native      text!=binary
> d:               /d                  native      text!=binary
> c:               /c                  native      text!=binary
> c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\usr\bin /bin                native      text!=binary
> c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20 /                   native      text!=binary
>
> The src dir is underneath c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\usr\local.  The full src is
> c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\usr\local\src\gcc\gcc-2.95.2 (I hope I followed the
> base directions from the
> http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/GettingStarted.html correctly.  I
> sure spent a lot of time trying to understand what I was trying to do)
>
> My operating system is NT.
>
> >From local, I executed "/src/gcc/gcc-2.95.2/configure" which was
successful.
> Therefore, from local again, I then executed "make bootstrap" and got back
> the error:
>
> /c: Can't open /c
> make: *** [all-libiberty] Error 2
>
> Then for a hacking try, I umounted /c and ran the command again.  I got
this
> error:
>
> make: *** No rule to make target
> `/c/cygnus/cygwin-b20/usr/local/src/gcc/gcc-2.95.2/gcc/version.c', needed
by
> `Makefile'.  Stop.
>
> This one doesn't seem to be a viable option because after umounting /c,
the
> "/src/gcc/gcc-2.95.2/configure" command brings back "bash.exe:
> src/gcc/gcc-2.95.2/configure: No such file or directory".  (I am not
exactly
> sure why this is, but I'm guessing Cygnus resolves relative paths to their
> fully qualified paths?)
>
> So, I am stuck.  How can I make the gcc executable from this point?  I
have
> a sneaking suspicion that I am missing something in how I am mounting and
I
> know that I am still a bit unsure of exactly how cygnus reads the mounted
> directory stuctures, and this is causing issues when I am trying to
> configure and make, but hopefully someone here would know what I am doing
> wrong.
>
> I have attached the makefile from configure and also a log of the
configure
> command if that might be helpful (The configure has my mounting structure
at
> the top.  I realized that I might need to let you guys know how that was
> configured, and I was mounting, umounting and configuring quite a bit to
try
> to understand what might have been going on)
>
> I would greatly appreciate this.  I am knew to java coding, but have used
> gcc and gdb for c-programming before and would like to be able to
integrate
> the compiler/debugger for java.
>
>  <<Makefile>>  <<configure.log>>
>
>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>                Name: Makefile
>    Makefile    Type: unspecified type (application/octet-stream)
>            Encoding: quoted-printable
>
>                     Name: configure.log
>    configure.log    Type: LOG ÎÄ¼þ
(application/x-unknown-content-type-log_auto_file)
>                 Encoding: quoted-printable
>
>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> Want to unsubscribe from this list?
> Send a message to [email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]