Subject: Re: File permissions on Network Drives
From: Kazuhiro Fujieda <[email-masked]>
To: Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: 11 Feb 2000 23:51:44 +0900

>>> On Wed, 09 Feb 2000 23:34:05 +0100
>>> Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]> said:

> If the network drive is a NTFS partition, ntsec will work. The
> security is implemented using NT security API calls which are
> definitely neither supported by FAT and FAT32 and AFAIK nor by
> SAMBA or any NFS driver.

Samba support ACL in recent versions. It forges SIDs with uid
and gid on UNIX regardless of its authentication method*. ntsec
can't recognize these SIDs and often cause errors of EACCESS on
Samba drives.

* Samba can join a NT domain and can authenticate users with
  domain controllers.
____
  | AIST      Kazuhiro Fujieda <[email-masked]>
  | HOKURIKU  School of Information Science
o_/ 1990      Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]