Subject: Using clearmake inside a Cygwin window and changing the SHELL variable: CaseID: v0390601
From: "Guy T. Moore Jr." <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 19:06:45 -0500

cygwin/cciug:

I'm not using any ClearCase VOBs or ClearCase Views in my example, so
ClearCase related text modes do not apply.

Can anyone 'successfully' inside a Cygwin window (I have version b20),

run the following commands:

cd c:
clearmake -C gnu -f c:/makefile target1

whereas c:/makefile has only 3 lines in it:

SHELL = c:/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin/sh.exe
target1:
	pwd

My error is:

pwd\r : not found

I've gotten enough interesting information about the whole \r thing to fill
a bathtub. (and I do thank everyone that has contributed thus far)

What I want is someone who actually has this working on their PC
right now. I would love to exchange information and get it working
at my site. 
(I do not want any customer modified bash.exe/sh.exe environments)

It sounds a bit demanding, but I'm at the end of my rope...

Guy Moore
Open Market
781-359-7418

Backgound:

Although I've gotten some information from both Cygnus support and
ClearCase support, I have not got it to work yet.

I'm using ClearCase 3.2.1 p20 on the WinNT 4.0 SP5 with Cygwin b20.

By observation after creating my own sh.exe for test purposes,
clearmake effectively does the following in the
above make example:(pipes the command to the shell)

		echo "pwd" | sh.exe

whereas Cygwin's 'make' effectively does the following
(calls shell with arguments including the "-c" flag):

		sh.exe -c pwd

Setting CYGWIN=nobinmode in the Cygwin window or as a system
environment variable via ControlPanel->System->Environment
does not help.

I also have used a Makefile that has no \r in it, and that does not help.
(Created the Makefile on a Unix system, copied down to my C: drive 
 and ran "od -c" against it to be sure.)

My C: drive is already automagically mounted via Cygwin in text mode 
(Not binary mode) according to Cygwin's mount command:
     Device Directory   Type     Flags
     c:        /       native   text!=binary

Everything works fine if I use Cygwin's make rather than ClearCase's clearmake.

I made a request to Rational for the snippet of code that runs the
command so that I can try to replicate what they are doing in my
own sample program. Awaiting that info. Case v0390601

I have gotten some code snippets for Cygwin's make_cmd.c to address the \r
parsing that bash.exe and sh.exe do(don't do) but I'd rather not go that 
route and have been informed from Cygwin support that this is not a
bug in Cygwin's bash.exe/sh.exe since they are trying to mimic Unix
shells and other Unix shells do not strip \r from anything.

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]