Subject: MAKE_MODE=UNIX? was RE: why must cygwin be first in path?
From: "Steven Schram" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 11:22:11 -0700

It looks like Earnie gets the award for asking important but obvious
questions that I somehow didn't ask myself.  The magic environment variable
seems to be MAKE_MODE, which needs to be set to UNIX.   This seems pretty
obvious at first, but then I ask: Why should MAKE_MODE be UNIX when my PATH
is in DOS format?

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Earnie Boyd [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2000 10:17 AM
To: Steven Schram
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: why must cygwin be first in path?

--- Steven Schram <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Basically as a porting layer so I can use GNU software.  Why do you ask?
>

I was trying to determine if you were using Cygwin for it's intended purpose
(adding a POSIX layer on top of Win32) or if you were just using it for the
User Interface portion.  If you don't need the POSIX layer I was going to
suggest that you look at Mingw and the links at
http://www.egroups.com/group/mingw32.

> I tested "sh -c make -f makefile.mk" and it does the same thing as before.
> I see the same results when executing from a bash shell started from a cmd
> shell.  If I execute bash from cygnus.bat pointed to by a shortcut, I
don't
> get the delay.
>

Hmm.  Interesting.  Are the environment variables that are set by the
cygnus.bat file, already existing in your Win32 environment?

> If I really want to chase this down, it looks like I will need to dive
into
> Make with gdb.
>

Possibly, but that would lead you to debugging Cygwin as well.

Regards,

=====
Earnie Boyd <mailto:[email-masked]>
Cygwin Newbies, please visit
<http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html>
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]