Subject: RE: why must cygwin be first in path?
From: "Steven Schram" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 10:03:33 -0700

Basically as a porting layer so I can use GNU software.  Why do you ask?

I tested "sh -c make -f makefile.mk" and it does the same thing as before.
I see the same results when executing from a bash shell started from a cmd
shell.  If I execute bash from cygnus.bat pointed to by a shortcut, I don't
get the delay.

If I really want to chase this down, it looks like I will need to dive into
Make with gdb.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Earnie Boyd [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2000 9:16 AM
To: Steven Schram; Bob McGowan
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: why must cygwin be first in path?

--- Steven Schram <[email-masked]> wrote:
> How fast is your test computer?  In my case, bash takes no perceptible
time
> to start -- no matter whether cygwin1.dll is currently loaded or has been
> loaded recently.   On the other hand, make starts quickly but pauses
before
> processing the Makefile only if the PATH is arranged 'incorrectly' and
only
> if the pause hasn't occurred in the last 10 seconds.  It seems important
to
> note that the delay happens every 10 seconds even if make is executed
> repeatedly.  Also, it need not be executed from an interactive shell.  I
use
> Visual SlickEdit and it executes make via a non-interactive cmd.exe shell.
> The delay does occur in this case.
>

So, exactly what are _you_ using Cygwin for?  Are you using the POSIX layer
of
Cygwin?

What happens if you modify the make command to be "sh -c 'make'"?  Do you
see
the same results when executing make from bash?

Regards,

=====
Earnie Boyd <mailto:[email-masked]>
Cygwin Newbies, please visit
<http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html>
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]