Subject: Re: cygwin Digest 4 Feb 2000 04:22:05 -0000 Issue 396
From: Dave Sherohman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], "Yunki Paik" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 10:14:28 -0600

At 04:22 AM 2/4/2000 -0000, [email-masked] wrote:
>Subject: B20.1  NT long file question 

>When I vi a file, it does not recognize the file if the file name is long.
>However, if I use it 8.3 DOS name for it, it finds it.

Many versions of vi allow you to specify multiple files for editing.
Unfortunately, this feature is generally incompatible with filenames that
include spaces; 'vi "My file.txt"' will attempt to open two files, "My" and
"file.txt".

To verify whether this is the problem you're encountering, try a file named
something like
'My-really-long-file-name-which-may-or-may-not-work-with-vi.doc.junk.txt' -
not 8.3-compliant, but without spaces in the name.

-- 
Geek Code 3.1: GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+
!K w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]