Subject: [Fwd: perl not working on Cygwin 1.0]
From: Steve Kelem <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:31:47 -0800

I'm running Cygwin 1.0 on Windows NT 4.0 SP6.

When I run the command:

perl -MCPAN -e shell

I get some nasty errors. See the attached file.

Also, perl -de 0 does not work.  It's supposed to run an interactive
shell.  Instead it reports:

Can't locate D:\PROGRA~1\ACTIVE~1\PerlDB.pl in @INC (@INC contains:
/contrib/lib
/perl5/5.00503/cygwin /contrib/lib/perl5/5.00503
/contrib/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/cygwin
/contrib/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005 .).
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.

Any idea what's wrong or how to fix it?

Thanks,
Steve Kelem

We have to reconfigure CPAN.pm due to following uninitialized parameters:

cpan_home, keep_source_where, build_dir, build_cache, scan_cache, index_expire, gzip, tar, unzip, make, pager, makepl_arg, make_arg, make_install_arg, urllist, inhibit_startup_message, ftp_proxy, http_proxy, no_proxy, prerequisites_policy

/contrib/lib/perl5/5.00503/CPAN/Config.pm initialized.

CPAN is the world-wide archive of perl resources. It consists of about
100 sites that all replicate the same contents all around the globe.
Many countries have at least one CPAN site already. The resources
found on CPAN are easily accessible with the CPAN.pm module. If you
want to use CPAN.pm, you have to configure it properly.

If you do not want to enter a dialog now, you can answer 'no' to this
question and I'll try to autoconfigure. (Note: you can revisit this
dialog anytime later by typing 'o conf init' at the cpan prompt.)

Are you ready for manual configuration? [yes] yes

The following questions are intended to help you with the
configuration. The CPAN module needs a directory of its own to cache
important index files and maybe keep a temporary mirror of CPAN files.
This may be a site-wide directory or a personal directory.

First of all, I'd like to create this directory. Where?

CPAN build and cache directory? [/home/Kelem/.cpan] /home/Kelem/.cpan

If you want, I can keep the source files after a build in the cpan
home directory. If you choose so then future builds will take the
files from there. If you don't want to keep them, answer 0 to the
next question.

How big should the disk cache be for keeping the build directories
with all the intermediate files?

Cache size for build directory (in MB)? [10] 10

By default, each time the CPAN module is started, cache scanning
is performed to keep the cache size in sync. To prevent from this,
disable the cache scanning with 'never'.

Perform cache scanning (atstart or never)? [atstart] atstart

The CPAN module can detect when a module that which you are trying to
build depends on prerequisites. If this happens, it can build the
prerequisites for you automatically ('follow'), ask you for
confirmation ('ask'), or just ignore them ('ignore'). Please set your
policy to one of the three values.

Policy on building prerequisites (follow, ask or ignore)? [follow] follow

The CPAN module will need a few external programs to work
properly. Please correct me, if I guess the wrong path for a program.
Don't panic if you do not have some of them, just press ENTER for
those.

Where is your gzip program? [/bin/gzip] /bin/gzip
Where is your tar program? [/bin/tar] /bin/tar
Where is your unzip program? [/contrib/bin/unzip] /contrib/bin/unzip
Where is your make program? [/bin/make] /bin/make
Warning: lynx not found in PATH
Where is your lynx program? [] 
Warning: ncftpget not found in PATH
Where is your ncftpget program? [] 
Warning: ncftp not found in PATH
Where is your ncftp program? [] 
Where is your ftp program? [/contrib/bin/ftp] /contrib/bin/ftp
What is your favorite pager program? [less] less
What is your favorite shell? [/bin/sh] /bin/sh

Every Makefile.PL is run by perl in a separate process. Likewise we
run 'make' and 'make install' in processes. If you have any parameters
(e.g. PREFIX, INSTALLPRIVLIB, UNINST or the like) you want to pass to
the calls, please specify them here.

If you don't understand this question, just press ENTER.

Parameters for the 'perl Makefile.PL' command? [] 
Parameters for the 'make' command? [] 
Parameters for the 'make install' command? [] 

Sometimes you may wish to leave the processes run by CPAN alone
without caring about them. As sometimes the Makefile.PL contains
question you're expected to answer, you can set a timer that will
kill a 'perl Makefile.PL' process after the specified time in seconds.

If you set this value to 0, these processes will wait forever. This is
the default and recommended setting.

Timeout for inactivity during Makefile.PL? [0] 0

If you're accessing the net via proxies, you can specify them in the
CPAN configuration or via environment variables. The variable in
the $CPAN::Config takes precedence.

Your ftp_proxy?  
Your http_proxy?  
Your no_proxy?  
You have no /home/Kelem/.cpan/sources/MIRRORED.BY
  I'm trying to fetch one

  Please, install Net::FTP as soon as possible. CPAN.pm installs it for you
  if you just type
      install Bundle::libnet

Issuing "/contrib/bin/ftp -n"
    0       0 [main] g:\Cygwin\contrib\bin\perl.exe 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
    0 5080901 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5078304 10159205 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5093642 15252847 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5061923 20314770 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5094356 25409126 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5078242 30487368 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5100470 35587838 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5039840 40627678 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5062555 45690233 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5047025 50737258 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5062532 55799790 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5047481 60847271 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5046030 65893301 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5047994 70941295 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5046817 75988112 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5062716 81050828 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5047346 86098174 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5048647 91146821 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
 3450 91150271 [proc] perl 1060 wait_subproc: wait failed. nchildren 1, wait 500, Win32 error 6
16870 91167141 [proc] perl 1060 wait_subproc: event[1] 0x18, Win32 error 6
5025808 96192949 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5050054 101243003 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5071179 106314182 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5059182 111373364 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5065957 116439321 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5064153 121503474 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5086133 126589607 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5071057 131660664 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5093642 136754306 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5061724 141816030 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5094292 146910322 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5077105 151987427 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5093682 157081109 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5063037 162144146 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5095090 167239236 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5061905 172301141 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5077720 177378861 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5062608 182441469 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5094359 187535828 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5068038 192603866 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5087381 197691247 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5078229 202769476 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5094763 207864239 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5061180 212925419 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5094225 218019644 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5078195 223097839 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5093136 228190975 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5063109 233254084 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5093680 238347764 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5063179 243410943 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5077026 248487969 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5062623 253550592 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5094144 258644736 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5094349 263739085 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5093607 268832692 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5078433 273911125 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5094083 279005208 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5095804 284101012 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5090885 289191897 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5093525 294285422 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487
5078634 299364056 [main] perl 1060 fork_copy: loaded dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x14043000..0x1404300C, done 0, Win32 error 487

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]