Subject: Re: Problems installing latest Cygwin stuff?
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Kendall Bennett <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 23:19:34 -0500

On Mon, Jan 17, 2000 at 10:26:46PM -0800, Kendall Bennett wrote:
>//c/c/cygwin/cygwin-b20>tar -zxvf binutils-2.9.4-cygb20.tar.gz
>//c/c/cygwin/cygwin-b20>
>
>Note that I am running the Windows 2000 RTM release, so perhaps it is 
>something Windows 2000 specific? The following is the contents of the 
>tar.exe.stackdump file:
>
>Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION at eip=0041732D
>eax=433D5345 ebx=00000080 ecx=0A0446A0 edx=00000005 esi=0A040000 
>edi=0A0440A0
>ebp=0242FD28 esp=0242FCFC program=c:\c\cygwin\CYGWIN~1\H-
>I586~1\bin\tar.exe
>cs=001B ds=0023 es=0023 fs=003B gs=0000 ss=0023
>Stack trace:
>Frame     Function  Args
>0242FD28  0041732D  (0A0446A0, 0242FD54, 61021AE7, 0A0446A0)
>[snip]
>End of stack trace (more stack frames may be present)

I'm not aware of any problems like this with tar in any release.
It would be odd if it were W2K related but you never know.

If you can believe the stack dump, it is tar itself that is crashing,
not cygwin.  One thing to try is to extract this in a "mounted"
directory.

>BTW, is there some easy way to change the default dimensions and font 
>of the window used by bash to something else (I like 80x50 for my 
>console)? The cygwin.bat file has no options for this under it's 
>properties section (perhaps I need to create a PIF file?).

Yuo can use the standard Windows way of doing things can't you?
Click on the tiny icon in the upper left corner of the Windows
and then click on Properties.  On WNT 4, at least, there is
a way to change the dimensions.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]