Subject: Problems installing latest Cygwin stuff?
From: "Kendall Bennett" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 22:26:46 -0800

Hi Guys,

I am trying to get Cygwin B20.1 installed and updated to the latest 
snapshot release, but am running into problems. I have been following 
the directions on:

 http://www.woodsoup.org/projs/ORKiD/cygwin.htm

but ran into a problem after I installed the latest snapshot release 
and then tried to upgrade to the latest GCC compilers. After 
installing the snapshot, this is what I get:

//c/c/cygwin/cygwin-b20>uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-5.0 KENDALLB 1.1.0(0.16/3/2) 2000-01-14 00:30:05 i686 
unknown

So it looks to be installed OK. However when I try to run tar to 
extract the GCC files, nothing happens except the disk whirs for a 
bit and I am left with a tar.exe.stackdump file on my disk. Hence it 
appears that tar.exe has crashed for some reason:

//c/c/cygwin/cygwin-b20>tar -zxvf binutils-2.9.4-cygb20.tar.gz
//c/c/cygwin/cygwin-b20>

Note that I am running the Windows 2000 RTM release, so perhaps it is 
something Windows 2000 specific? The following is the contents of the 
tar.exe.stackdump file:

Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION at eip=0041732D
eax=433D5345 ebx=00000080 ecx=0A0446A0 edx=00000005 esi=0A040000 
edi=0A0440A0
ebp=0242FD28 esp=0242FCFC program=c:\c\cygwin\CYGWIN~1\H-
I586~1\bin\tar.exe
cs=001B ds=0023 es=0023 fs=003B gs=0000 ss=0023
Stack trace:
Frame     Function  Args
0242FD28  0041732D  (0A0446A0, 0242FD54, 61021AE7, 0A0446A0)
0242FD34  004173EA  (0A0446A0, 6107B898, 00000001, 6104ADAC)
0242FD54  61021AE7  (0A0446A0, 00000001, 00000002, 61076AA4)
0242FD84  6100E34E  (0A045E00, 00000003, 0040187F, 6101DD57)
0242FDA4  610764C9  (0A045E00, 00000003, 0242FDE4, 6100E81F)
0242FDD4  6101E14D  (610818E8, 00000003, 0242FE14, 61042363)
0242FE14  61042373  (00000003, 00000000, 6102E37E, 61067ACE)
0242FE34  61067ACE  (00000003, 00000000, 0242FE58, 00401800)
0242FE44  004015B5  (00000003, 0242FE90, 0242FF17, 0242FE98)
0242FE58  00401800  (00000003, 00000000, 00402371, 00000000)
0242FE98  004027B6  (0A047000, 00000003, 00000000, 00410840)
0242FEBC  00403605  (00000000, 0A047000, 00000003, 00000000)
0242FED4  0040D69C  (0040AD78, 0242FF0C, 0A047000, 0242FF64)
0242FEE8  00415F86  (00000003, 0A047000, 0A043000, 00000000)
0242FF64  610024AB  (7FFDF000, 021A000E, 00000114, 00000000)
0242FF94  61002775  (00422EE0, 00415E08, 0242FFC0, 0040103A)
End of stack trace (more stack frames may be present)

BTW, is there some easy way to change the default dimensions and font 
of the window used by bash to something else (I like 80x50 for my 
console)? The cygwin.bat file has no options for this under it's 
properties section (perhaps I need to create a PIF file?).

Regards,

+---------------------------------------------------------------+
|   SciTech Software - Building Truly Plug'n'Play Software!     |
+---------------------------------------------------------------+
| Kendall Bennett          | Email: [email-masked]    |
| Director of Engineering  | Phone: (530) 894 8400              |
| SciTech Software, Inc.   | Fax  : (530) 894 9069              |
| 505 Wall Street          | ftp  : ftp.scitechsoft.com         |
| Chico, CA 95928, USA     | www  : http://www.scitechsoft.com  |
+---------------------------------------------------------------+

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]