Subject: Re: STOP the RFC! Web poll for a.out vs a.exe vs foo.exe question
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Ajit George <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 21:49:29 -0500

On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 06:04:01PM -0600, Ajit George wrote:
>In the poll, does 'file.exe' literally mean 'file.exe', or does it mean, for
>example, 'prog.exe' when running 'gcc prog.c'?

We're contemplating just having gcc output one specific file since it
will be much less confusing to the users who accidentally type -o
soemthing and find that their something.exe file has been completely
overwritten!

So the relevant makefile rule will now be:

myprog.exe:
	gcc foo.o bar.o; mv file.exe myprog.exe

Hmm.  No.  That can't be right because then every file would be named
myprog.exe.

I guess we'll have to work on this concept some more.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]