Subject: Re: [mingw32] Re: [RFC] changing gcc default output executable na me (a.exe now)
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Andre Oliveira da Costa <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 15:08:19 -0500

On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 05:30:03PM -0200, Andre Oliveira da Costa wrote:
>Mmmh... ok, I agree this would solve the problem for packages which use
>autoconf/automake. But those who don't are still in the dark. The worst of
>it all is that the .exe suffix is added by ld -- it is as if cygwin creates
>problems for itself...
>
>(before flaming starts: I know there's a very good reason for the insertion
>of the .exe suffix: it has to be added so that the files can be seen as
>executables by Windoze -- another great feature (?) by M$oft... =T As I
>said, I just think it would be nice to have this .exe suffix handled
>transparently, since it is automagically created)

As usual, my suggestion is that rather than opine how something should be
handled "automatically", actual source code demonstrating your idea would
be much more helpful.

The sources to cp, cygwin, mv, rm, make, gcc, etc.  are all available.
Personally, I have no idea how you could implement a plan to
"automatically" do the right thing in such a way that you will end up
satisfying everybody.  However, I'd love to be proved wrong by seeing
exactly what you are proposing.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]