Subject: Questions about Setting up Cygwin V1.0
From: Steve Kelem <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:16:59 -0800

I have several questions about setting up Cygwin. Some of the text in
the on-line help don't make sense.

1. Under Environent variables for Cygwin, it says:

The fully editable cygnus.bat file installs by default in
\cygnus\<installdirectory>/cygnus.bat where the most important
environment variables
are set before activating a bash shell. <installdirectory> signifies the
directory path you have set.
What is <installdirectory>? There are no instructions for setting
<installdirectory>. Cygwin installed in G:\Cygwin. Cygwin B20 installed
in G:\Cygnus\version#, but not version 1.0.

2. There is no file called cygnus.bat! I searched all the disks, but
couldn't find it. I tried creating the file with the line

    set CYGWIN="tty notitle strace=0x1"

but bash didn't seem to find that file, and reported that the CYGWIN
variable was not set.

3. Where do I put the .profile, .inputrc, and .bashrc files? If I right
click on "My Computer", I get the System Properties window. In the
Environment tab, I have the HOME environment variable set to F:\Kelem. I
have a .bashrc file containing the line:

     set path=(/bin)

When I run bash, it thinks $PATH is
/cygdrive/g/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin:/cygdrive/g/Gnu/bin:/cygdrive/d/Perl/5.005/bin/MSWin32-x86-object:/cygdrive/d/Perl/5.005/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINNT:/bin:/contrib/bin

4. The section labelled "Customizing the bash shell" states:

     To set bash up so that cut and paste work properly, click on
     the Properties button of the window, then on
     the misc tab. Make sure to activate Quick Edit and make sure
     that Fast Pasting isn’t activated.

There is no misc tab. The Options tab contains an option for Quick Edit,
but not Fast Pasting.
This section also states that .profile is executed
when bash is started as login shell, using the following command.

    bash --login
Where is this flag to be entered? Is it to be typed on a command line
somewhere, or is it entered in the Target field in the Shortcut tab of
the Properties window for bash?  Please let me know and update the
documentation.

Thanks for your help,
Steve Kelem

Subject: Questions about Cygwin
From: Steve Kelem <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 11:23:18 -0800

Hi.  I have Cygwin 1.0 on Win NT 4, SP5.

I have several questions about setting up Cygwin. Some of the text in
the on-line help don't make sense.

1. Under "Setting up Cygwin", the first link says "Learning UNIX to work
with Cygwin".  This is bad English. I'm guessing that you meant to say
something like "Learn more about UNIX".

2. Under Environent variables for Cygwin, it says:

     The fully editable cygnus.bat file installs by default in
     \cygnus\<installdirectory>/cygnus.bat where the most important
     environment variables
     are set before activating a bash shell. <installdirectory>
     signifies the directory path you have set.

What is <installdirectory>? There are no instructions for setting
<installdirectory>. Cygwin installed in G:\Cygwin. Cygwin B20 installed
in G:\Cygnus\version#, but not version 1.0.

3. There is no file called cygnus.bat! I searched all the disks, but
couldn't find it. I tried creating the file with the line

    set CYGWIN="tty notitle strace=0x1"

but bash didn't seem to find that file, and reported that the CYGWIN
variable was not set.

4. Where do I put the .profile, .inputrc, and .bashrc files? If I right
click on "My Computer", I get the System Properties window. In the
Environment tab, I have the HOME environment variable set to F:\Kelem. I
have a .bashrc file containing the line:
set path=(/bin)
When I run bash, it thinks $PATH is
/cygdrive/g/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin:/cygdrive/g/Gnu/bin:/cygdrive/d/Perl/5.005/bin/MSWin32-x86-object:/cygdrive/d/Perl/5.005/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINNT:/bin:/contrib/bin

5. The section labelled "Customizing the bash shell" states:

     To set bash up so that cut and paste work properly, click on
     the Properties button of the window, then on
     the misc tab. Make sure to activate Quick Edit and make sure
     that Fast Pasting isn’t activated.

There is no misc tab. The Options tab contains an option for Quick Edit,
but not Fast Pasting.
This section also states that .profile is executed
when bash is started as login shell, using the following command.

    bash --login
Where is this flag to be entered? Is it to be typed on a command line
somewhere, or is it entered in the Target field in the Shortcut tab of
the Properties window for bash?  Please let me know and update the
documentation.

6. I'm trying to build nmh. When I run the configure command that comes
with its source, it reports:
"G:/Cygwin/bin/bash.exe"-2.03$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
loading cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... i386-pc-cygwin32
checking target system type... i386-pc-cygwin32
checking build system type... i386-pc-cygwin32
configuring for nmh-1.0.2
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.

If I type "type gcc", it reports: gcc is hashed (/bin/gcc). If I type
"gcc --help", it prints the help information, indicating that (a) gcc
works, and (b) it's where it's supposed to be.  What's wrong?  Why can't
I configure this software? It configures on Sun Solaris 2.7, and on
Linux.

Thanks for your help,
Steve Kelem
--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]