Subject: Re: [mingw32] Re: [RFC] changing gcc default output executable name (a.exe now)
From: Brent Williams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 09:00:20 -0500

>
>Yep.  I agree entirely.
>An output of <name> or even <name>.exe would be justified on Unix boxes
>also in my opinion.  I don't know why Unix people still insist on making
>things harder and more cryptic then they have to be.  I think it's an ego
>powertrip thing or something.

I think the a.out was a carryover from the original compiler Dennis
Ritchie wrote. Unix is cryptic at first, but once you get used to all
those little commands, you can type faster. Typing 'cp' is a lot faster
than typing 'copy'. It's rumored that Unix was never intended to be used
outside of a lab environment.

As far as cryptic goes, the WinAPI/Registry is about a cryptic as it
gets. (or complicated may be a better word). Probably a result of having
too many hands in the pie.

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]