Subject: Re: cygwin poll
From: "Emanuele Aliberti" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 10:38:01 CET

Andre Oliveira da Costa wrote:

>I created a zero-length file named "aux" in the POSIX subsystem
[omissis]
>This seems like a bug in Windows Explorer, but we can't prevent it
>without avoiding reserved names completely, so that'd be my
>recommendation.

Win32 applications access devices via symbolic links in the executive 
namespace (at least under NT), idem PSX applications.

"AUX", if opened by KERNEL32.CreateFile, actually opens \DosDevices\AUX . 
"\DosDevices" is actually a link to "\??", and "\??\AUX" is a link to 
"\DosDevices\COM1", and finally "\??\COM1" is a link to "\Device\Serial0". 
Since file names management is filtered on a subsystem basis (Win32 
filtering is different than PSX one), there is no way to access an "AUX" 
file created in PSX from a Win32 application (PSXDLL.creat and PSXDLL.open 
do not see the "aux" redirected to "\Device\Serial0"; probably they see 
"/dev/tty0" as "\Device\Serial0").

A freeware executive's namespace browser is here: 
http://www.sysinternals.com/winobj.htm
______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]