Subject: Re: ActiveX/OCX - programming
From: <[email-masked]>
To: Juergen Lock <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 11:44:37 -0600

I spent a lot of time recently on this subject myself, and therefore would
like to reply:

You can start with a com overview, or the com spec. Dr Gui has a gentle
introduction.
Com is easily understandable in high level terms, it seems to be the
implementation of all the myriad details that is a killer.
It is possible to write com with c or c++.  The DCOM comes from additions
to the OSF DCE spec, which I won't read, it's many
hundreds of pages.  The com libraries have the magic for doing the
connections for you by using registry information to locate the
control locally and everything remote looks just the same, except accessed
through rpc calls (from the OSF DCE).

If any one has some examples that are compilable for mingw32, please post.

|--------+------------------------>
|        |          Juergen Lock  |
|        |          <[email-masked]|
|        |          bremen.de>    |
|        |                        |
|        |          12/29/99 11:57|
|        |          AM            |
|        |                        |
|--------+------------------------>
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                                     |
  |       To:     Ernest Poletaev <[email-masked]>                                                                                    |
  |       cc:     [email-masked], (bcc: Bartlee A Anderson/WoodDale/EC/Rockwell)                                          |
  |       Subject:     Re: ActiveX/OCX - programming                                                                                    |
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

On Wed, Dec 29, 1999 at 10:34:24AM +0300, Ernest Poletaev wrote:
> > > Is it possible to develop and use ActiveX controls using Mingw32? And
if
> yes,
> > > how can it be done?
> All my experiments failed. You may create simple interfaces (you'll need
to
> port some ole headers), but problem is type library - at this time cygwin
> don't have midl compiler. Microsoft's midl compiler depend on they C
> compiler, so it not working with cygwin.
>
Oh yes, i forgot the typelib problem!  If you don't have a way to make
those then you're entirely out of luck.  (Well, i believe there once was
some `demo version' of visual basic, maybe you could somehow use that...)

 Regards,
--
Juergen Lock <[email-masked]>
(remove dot foo from address to reply)

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]