Subject: Re: Core dumps
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Joost Kraaijeveld <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 12:12:06 -0500

On Thu, Dec 23, 1999 at 10:10:57AM +0100, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
>Can anyone give me an explanation or a pointer to documentation as how
>to use a coredump?

If you are referring to cygwin's "core dumps" they are really just
human-readable ascii files.  They contain a listing of the
registers and a stack dump showing the last few functions called
prior to the crash.

You can use the program `addr2line' to figure out the symbolic names
of the functions from the hexadecimal addresses displayed in the file:

addr2line -e /whereever/cygwin1.dll 0x123466

or, alternatively you can use gdb:

gdb -nw myprog
l *0x123456

Note that the last few addresses in the stackdump used to be addresses
in cygwin itself.  The stack dump used to display the addresses of the
functions used to display the stack dump (sic).  This has been changed in
recent snapshots.

Note that if you are suffering from a repeatable crash it is usually
infinitely easier to just run the program under gdb.  Then you will
immediately see where the program dies.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]