Subject: Re: SUMMARY: Known issues with gnuwin32 development tools of year 1999
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Mumit Khan <[email-masked]>
Cc: Paul Sokolovsky <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 15:28:11 -0500

On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 01:03:21PM -0600, Mumit Khan wrote:
>> 7.
>> PROBLEM
>> Lack of compatibility and interoperatability with native (i.e. msvc++)
>> compiler and applications
>> STATUS
>> This spans several points:
>> 
>> a) C dlls are interoperatable with mingw32, and Mumit Khan told he
>> made some changes to improve it for cygwin
>
>It should work fine for Cygwin right now if you're using the latest 
>Cygwin snapshot. However, there is one pending patch that CGF is still
>looking at that is necessary for doing it right (signals, I/O, network,
>etc -- anything that requires Cygwin to use a separate thread).

Just to add a little bit more info, Mumit submitted a patch which
probably will fix the problem but the patch uses malloc for temporary
storage.  I've recently been bitten by the use of malloc in
initialization code so I've been futilely trying to think of some way
around this.  It's probable that Mumit's use of malloc won't really
cause a problem but I'd like to avoid it if I can, so I've been letting
this simmer in my unconscious mind for a while to see if it comes up
with something interesting.

So, far, however, the only thing that seems to be surfacing are jingles
from old commercials...

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]