Subject: Re: New install problems
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Timothy I. McGinnis" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 10:48:31 -0500

On Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 06:18:44AM -0800, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>--- "Timothy I. McGinnis" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I'm new to cygwin, I come from a Unix background, so I am lost on windows.
>> 
>> So please forgive my ignorance.
>> 
>> I have tried to install the cygwin full.exe on both 95 and NT 4.0 SP4.  I
>> would like to set up cygwin so when I bring up the bash shell it maps my
>> root to d:/unix.  I believe I am following the Users Guide properly.  After
>> installing cygwin I start the bash shell and it comes up fine.  I unmount
>> root and remount it using "mount //d/unix /".  It gives me the expected
>> error message that / does not exist.  I then exit out of bash and restart
>> it.  Now on the 95 box when I try to change to / I get the error message
>> 'cd /: No such device'.
>> 
>> On the NT 4.0 box I do the same thing and when I restart bash the cursor
>> just sits there for a minute or so then it gives me a prompt.  If I try to
>> do anything it hangs for a minute or so then gives me a prompt.
>> 
>> Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
>
>Yep.  The follow bash command should work:
>
>Bash# cd /dir/containing/umount && ./umount / && ./mount 'd:\unix' /
>
>The way you did it, Cygwin tries to resolve //d/unix to a host named d with a
>shared directory named unix.  While you're at it, check out my webpages.

In Cygwin v1.0 (only available on CD, currently <but I'm working on that>)
mount has a "-f" option to force a mount, so you can do this, too:

mount -f d:\unix /

FWIW, this mount command is also available in the latest cygwin snapshots.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]