Subject: need help with gtk
From: Tor Lillqvist <[email-masked]>
To: Chan Kar Heng <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 23:27:23 +0200 (FLE Standard Time)

Chan Kar Heng writes:
 > i'm a newbie when it comes to unix programming. was very interested
 > in x windows programming under linux and was really happy to find that
 > gtk has been ported over to cygwin! however, the setup instructions
 > left me with some minor confusion...

Do you really mean cygwin, or (native) Win32 with the Microsoft C
runtime? I can answer about the latter case.  I assume you are talking
about my GTk+ port here, as the source zipfiles I distribute indeed
have everything under a "src" directory as you mention below.

 > i suppose i need to install cygwin full.exe and place gcc 2.95.2 over
 > the installation to give myself a gcc compiler... what's the difference
 > besides the change of dlls used? do i still get commands like fork()
 > and kill() that i would expect to get with cygwin? (or even commands
 > like popen, and most unix api calls)

My GTk+ port doesn't use cygwin. It uses the MSVCRT runtime. (So, I
guess this response is off-topic for this list. Bear with me...)

 > so do i need to download the mingw32 libraries mentioned in the
 > gtk documentations?

Hmm. As this (setting up gcc the way I suggest when using my GTK+
port) is quite complex, (and I don't even remember the reason for all
the details right now), wouldn't it be easier just to follow the
instructions first, verify that you get a working setup that way, and
*then* start experimenting by doing things differently, if you are
inclined.

 > do i need to have gcc to use gtk? 

No, you can compile programs that use GTk+ with MSVC, too. Some people
have had at least some success with Borland C++Builder, too.

 > anyway, the gtk development libraries unpack into src/ folder... is
 > that supposed to be right? i mean, do i place this under the lib
 > folder in cygwin and move the .h files into the include directory
 > and stuff like that? (just want to put things at places where they
 > were intended to go..)

I wouldn't recommend unpacking them under the /cygnus tree, if that is
what you mean. Put them somewhere outside. If you want to keep it
simple, don't copy the headers around. (As you will forget that you
have copies elsewhere when you unpack the next source snapshot...)
Read the makefiles I use, and use them as models. Especially make sure
you get the -I, -L and -l switches right.

 > i'm rather confused over the whole thing.. as to what i need and what
 > i don't need, what's already there and what's not... 
 > i need opengl functions later too... what package do i look for? 

GtkGLArea has been ported to Win32 (to go with my GTk+ port). I
haven't used it myself, though, and it has been some time since I last
even tried any test program using it.

 > i'm currently looking at mesa under linux.. any equivalents under
 > cygwin/gcc? (whichever i should refer to... sigh)

Win98 and NT have real OpenGL. The import libraries are included with
gcc for gcc (mingw32).

--tml

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]