Subject: Re: Question on Cygwin User Tool licensing
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: "David M. J. Saslav" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 15:21:59 -0500

On Wed, Dec 01, 1999 at 11:24:43AM -0800, David M. J. Saslav wrote:
>Thanks to all for the rapid responses.
>
>The question #2 I am trying to get an answer for does not involve DISTRIBUTING
>THE CYGWIN CD TO ANYONE -- rather providing them with the use of the tool long
>enough to emulate the product's Unix shell script tools in a classroom
>environment -- say, a one to three day experience -- after which all traces of
>the Cygwin user tools would be deleted from the NT boxes the students had been
>using.  They walk away with nothing but knowledge/awareness of Cygwin tools!  Am
>I allowed to download the
>
>I'd like to specify my question further:  the product's command line tools only
>use "sh" to work properly.  Does the GPL allow me to download once to the
>classroom (on a per-class-experience-basis), install locally to the student NT
>machines, run the course, then delete everything as soon as the course is done?

If the students are using the software then you have to be able to
provide them with sources.  The duration of the software on the system
is irrelevant.

If you are actually taking the CD that you bought and installing it on
systems that you do not own, then there may be other licensing issues as
well.

As I mentioned before, you should contact [email-masked] for
clarification.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]