Subject: Re: snprintf() in cygwin.
From: "Gary V. Vaughan" <[email-masked]>
To: Jens Yllman <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 20:49:51 +0000

On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 07:19:29PM +0100, Jens Yllman wrote:
> I'm trying to port a UNIX program to cygwin. And this program uses 
> snprintf(). And this function does not seem to be in cygwin. 

There is a complete reimplementation of the whole *printf* API on
my homepage which compiles very nicely on cygwin. 

> finding it it looks for the g_snprintf() that is in glib. And I guess
> that this is glibc. And I wonder then if someone has compiled glib/glibc
> for cygwin.

No, glib used to be part of the GTK+ widget set, but was split out into
a separate library.  I did compile it for cygwin a year ago or so, but
it was quite difficult then, and has become worse since the
introduction of a thread component.

>  Is there any good sites/FAQ about how to use autoconf/automake under
> cygwin.

They all come with comprehensive info manuals, and you can pick apart
just about any GNU tarball to see how it all fits together.

> I've never used them under UNIX eather. So any info about how to
> use them and how to compile/use them under cygwin is welcome.

You first need to install a cygwin port of perl for automake, but then
autoconf, automake and libtool all work out of the box.  libtool can
even create dlls and import libraries with a little work,  again my
snprintfv library is a good example of how to set up a project to
compile as dll on cygwin and an elf shared lib on unix.

Cheers,
	Gary.
-- 
  ___              _   ___   __              _ mailto:[email-masked]
 / __|__ _ _ ___ _| | / / | / /_ _ _  _ __ _| |_  __ _ ___       [email-masked] 
| (_ / _` | '_|// / |/ /| |/ / _` | || / _` | ' \/ _` | _ \      
 \___\__,_|_|\_, /|___(_)___/\__,_|\_,_\__, |_||_\__,_|//_/
home page:  /___/                      /___/                  gpg public key:
http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk           http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk/key.asc

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]