Subject: Re: cygwin on 95 slower than NT
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Paul Sokolovsky <[email-masked]>
Cc: J Senthil Kumar <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 12:23:22 -0500

On Thu, Nov 25, 1999 at 06:53:12PM +0200, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
>EB> --- J Senthil Kumar <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>Iam using cygwin shell on NT and 95.  On windows 95 the shell scripts
>>>are considerably slow.  Like it take 1-2 seconds for each command.  Is
>>>this natural?.  Is there any parameter to be adjusted in the DOS Shell.
>>>Iam a shell maniac I badly need a fast shell on Win95.  Could you
>>>help?.
>
>It's known issue of Cygwin (and other POSIX layers, e.g.  UWIN).  They
>all by some reason (probably because they themselves were developed on
>NT, without enough attention to other Win32 systems) count Win9x as
>'degraded mode'.

Oh yeah.  That was it.  If only we'd paid more attention to Windows 95,
Cygwin would be much faster.  I knew that we should have used the
"GoFasterOnWin9x (TRUE);' function.

If anyone thinks they can optimize things so that console I/O works
better on Windows 95, I'll be thrilled to consider a patch.

-chris

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]