Subject: RE: gcc/g77/gcj 2.95.2 for cygwin CD 1.0?
From: "Suhaib Siddiqi" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mumit Khan" <[email-masked]>, "Steve Jorgensen" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 17:38:46 -0500

>
> Steve Jorgensen <[email-masked]> writes:
> > 	I need a version of the recent gcc 2.95.2 release compiled
> > 	to work with the cygwin CD directory layout.
> (Actually I only
> > 	want the fortran part, but ... :)
> >
> > 	Anyway, has someone already done this?  If not, I don't mind
> > 	compiling it myself.  Can it be done straight from the gcc
> > 	distribution file from gnu.org, or do I need a patch/special
> > 	configuration parameters.
> >
> > 	Any info is appreciated.
> >
>
> Suhaib Siddiqui had sent me the CD layout, but I just
> haven't had time
> to look at it yet.

There is pgcc 2.95.2 at my URL siddiqi.webjump.com.  It is basically
GCC 2.95.2.  Of course the binaries are totally unsupported... They
work ok under my configuration to compile X and MOTIF. However, you
will be better off waiting for Mumit's binaries.

>
> Few things I had forgotten to ask him, so I'll ask now:
>
> 1. What are the mount points guaranteed to be at
> installation time?
>    (ie., is there a / that points to anything useful? Is there a
>    /usr/include, /usr/bin? Or is everything in /bin).

Mumit / points to c:/ drive.

There is nothing much useful in .usr/include, most of the cygwin
related headers are in /cygwin/usr/i686-cygwin/include

/Cygwin/bin contains all the executables

>
> 2. Output of CD gcc:
>
>    $ gcc -v
>    $ gcc -print-search-dirs

I did send these two. But here they are again.  Ignore the ld
collect2 error.  I do not have hello.c (e.g) at the moment, and my
NT is busy porting MOTIF 2.1.12 to MSVC.  Therefore I did a touch
hello.c to get the outpu.

Suhaib

bash-2.03$ gcc -v
Reading specs from
/d/cygwin/bin/../usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-99083
0/specs
gcc version 2.9-cygwin-990830
bash-2.03$ gcc -print-search-dirs
install: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/
programs:
/d/cygwin/bin/../usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/:/d/c
yg
win/bin/../usr/lib/gcc-lib/:/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-
990830/:/usr
/lib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwin/:/usr/lib/gcc/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830
/:/usr/lib/g
cc/i686-cygwin/:/d/cygwin/bin/../usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cyg
win-990830/.
./../../../i686-cygwin/bin/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/:/d/cygwin/
bin/../usr/l
ib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/../../../../i686-cygwin/bin
/:/usr/lib/g
cc-lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/../../../../i686-cygwin/bin/i68
6-cygwin/2.9
-cygwin-990830/:/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/../..
/../../i686-
cygwin/bin/
libraries:
/d/cygwin/bin/../usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/:/d/c
y
gwin/bin/../usr/lib/gcc-lib/:/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin
-990830/:/us
r/lib/gcc/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/:/d/cygwin/bin/../usr/lib/gc
c-lib/i686-c
ygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/../../../../i686-cygwin/lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-
cygwin-99083
0/:/d/cygwin/bin/../usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/..
/../../../i6
86-cygwin/lib/:/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/../../
../../i686-c
ygwin/lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/:/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwi
n/2.9-cygwin
-990830/../../../../i686-cygwin/lib/:/d/cygwin/bin/../usr/lib/gcc-li
b/i686-cygwi
n/2.9-cygwin-990830/../../../i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/:/d/cygwi
n/bin/../usr
/lib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/../../../:/usr/lib/gcc-li
b/i686-cygwi
n/2.9-cygwin-990830/../../../i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/:/usr/lib
/gcc-lib/i68
6-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/../../../:/lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990
830/:/lib/:/
usr/lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/:/usr/lib/
bash-2.03$ touch hello.c
bash-2.03$ gcc -v -o hello.exe hello.c
Reading specs from
/d/cygwin/bin/../usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-99083
0/specs
gcc version 2.9-cygwin-990830

/d/cygwin/bin/../usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/cpp.e
xe -lang-c
-v -iprefix
/d/cygwin/bin/../usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/ -und
ef -D__GNUC__=2 -D__GNUC_MINOR__=9 -Di386 -D_WIN32 -DWINNT -D_X86_=1
 -D__STDC__=
1 -D__stdcall=__attribute__((__stdcall__)) -D__cdecl=__attribute__((
__cdecl__))
-D__declspec(x)=__attribute__((x)) -D__i386__ -D_WIN32 -D__WINNT__ -
D_X86_=1 -D_
_STDC__=1 -D__stdcall=__attribute__((__stdcall__)) -D__cdecl=__attri
bute__((__cd
ecl__)) -D__declspec(x)=__attribute__((x)) -D__i386 -D__WINNT -Asyst
em(winnt) -A
cpu(i386) -Amachine(i386) -remap -Acpu(i386) -Amachine(i386) -Di386 
-D__i386 -D_
_i386__ -Di686 -Dpentiumpro -D__i686 -D__i686__ -D__pentiumpro -D__p
entiumpro__
-D__CYGWIN32__ -D__CYGWIN__ hello.c D:\Cygwin\/tmp/ccaxasWY.i
GNU CPP version 2.9-cygwin-990830 (80386, BSD syntax)
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:

/d/cygwin/bin/../usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/../..
/../../i686
-cygwin/include

/d/cygwin/bin/../usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/inclu
de
End of search list.
The following default directories have been omitted from the search
path:

/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/../../../../include/g
++-2
 /usr/include
 /usr/include
End of omitted list.

/d/cygwin/bin/../usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/cc1.e
xe D:\Cygwi
n\/tmp/ccaxasWY.i -quiet -dumpbase hello.c -version -o
D:\Cygwin\/tmp/ccbOD027.s

GNU C version 2.9-cygwin-990830 (i686-cygwin) compiled by GNU C
version 2.9-cygw
in-990830.

/d/cygwin/bin/../usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/../..
/../../i686
-cygwin/bin/as.exe -o D:\Cygwin\/tmp/ccFpiWEj.o
D:\Cygwin\/tmp/ccbOD027.s

/d/cygwin/bin/../usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/colle
ct2.exe -o
hello.exe
/d/cygwin/bin/../usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/../..
/.
./../i686-cygwin/lib/crt0.o -L/d/cygwin/bin/../usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-
cygwin/2.9-c
ygwin-990830 -L/d/cygwin/bin/../usr/lib/gcc-lib -L/d/cygwin/bin/../u
sr/lib/gcc-l
ib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/../../../../i686-cygwin/lib -L/d/cy
gwin/bin/../
usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/../../..
D:\Cygwin\/tmp/ccFpiWEj.o
 -lgcc -lcygwin -lkernel32 -ladvapi32 -lshell32 -lgcc
/d/cygwin/bin/../usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-cygwin/2.9-cygwin-990830/../..
/../../i686-
cygwin/lib/libcygwin.a(libcmain.o)(.text+0x66):libcmain.cc:
undefined reference
to `WinMain@16'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
bash-2.03$
>    $ gcc -v -o hello.exe hello.c
>
>    [ hello.c can be any old hello world program ]
>
> Given this, I can build a distribution -- if there's
> interest of course.
> So far, there hasn't been.
>
> My recommendation:
>
> - get the gcc-2.95.2 source distro
> - get x86-win32 patches from my site:
>
> ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/cygwin/gcc-
> 2.95.2/patches/
> - build it:
>
>     $ cd ~/src
>     $ tar zxf /tmp/gcc-2.95.2.tar.gz
>     $ cd gcc-2.95.2
>     $ patch -p1 -s < /tmp/gcc-2.95.2-x86-win32.diff
>
>   The file gcc-2.95.2-x86-win32.diff is included in my patchset.
>
>     $ mkdir /tmp/gcc-2.95.2-build
>     $ cd /tmp/gcc-2.95.2-build
>     $ ~/src/gcc-2.95.2/configure --prefix=/usr/local/gcc-2.95.2 \
>       --enable-languages=c,c++,f77,objc,java \
>       i686-cygwin
>
>   Of course, you may want a different prefix, or the
> default (/usr/local).
>
>     $ make
>     $ make install
>
> This should work in theory, but I have no way to tell.
>
> Regards,
> Mumit
>
>
>
> --
> Want to unsubscribe from this list?
> Send a message to [email-masked]
>

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]