Subject: Re: How do I UNMOUNT '/' mount point?
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Prakash Dhavali <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 17:17:40 -0500

On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 02:02:57PM -0800, Prakash Dhavali wrote:
>I think users SHOULD be able to install the cygwin as a TOOLKIT and NOT
>as a UNIX OS wrapper around win32. I think that some of the users like me
>may want CygWin Toolkit with standalone unix utilities and applications.
>I know CygWin is sold as a UNIX/LINUX environment to customers, but I
>would have appreciated if there was a CygWin Toolkit(maybe similar to
>MKS toolkit) as well.
>
>Hard mounting C:/ to / is a deviation from default NT behaviour. I think 
>ALL the cygwin tools and utilities must have recognised some environment 
>variables(e.g CYGWIN_ROOT_DIR) to mean $CYGWIN_ROOT_DIR as the root and 
>not C:/. In my case this deviation breaks my application(s). You may ask
>why I bought CygWin in the first place., I just wanted the Unix Utilities
>in my NT environment.
>
>What do other users on this list feel about the above topic?

This marketing information is duly noted.  Please note that this has
also been raised relatively recently in this newsgroup by another
similarly indignant user.

FYI, the whole purpose of the Cygwin project is to provide an emulation
environment for Windows which is as close as possible to UNIX.  UNIX
does not support the concept of "drives" in any way that is similar
to MS-DOS, so we made no effort to support MS-DOS notation or concepts.

That said, however, you do have the source code and if you should manage
to make Cygwin work in the manner that you describe without breaking
anything else, we will gratefully inspect your patch.

Otherwise, it is unlikely that we will be modifying each tool that
we provide to support MS-DOS concepts of drives and directories.

-Christopher Faylor
-Cygwin Engineering Manager
-Cygnus Solutions

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]