Subject: RE: [NOT FIXED] Symbolic links & RCS -- READ IT!
From: "Andre Oliveira da Costa" <[email-masked]>
To: "Eran Leshem" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Cygwin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 12:05:37 -0200

Well, I'm sorry to say that this is _not_ great news -- I said "OK" too soon
=T The RCS tools I created did understand the symbolic links scheme of
Cygwin, but they show some strange behavior that makes it impossible to use
them. ci.exe is unable to check-in files if they don't exist on the RCS dir;
it complains about being unable to create the files on the RCS dir due to
permission problems, and aborts leaving some temporary files around in my
HD.

I've been in touch with some people off-list, trying to solve this problem
(Michael Weiser <mailto:[email-masked]> and Erwin Achermann
<mailto:[email-masked]>, which appear on the "GNUWin32 Package Report"
document on the RCS section, have been very responsive to my requests for
help, and for this I'm very thankful to them), but have made little progress
so far. I understood that all my mounts must be binary in order for RCS to
work, but even that didn't solve my problem completely -- ci.exe doesn't
complain anymore, but it doesn't create the files either (if someone's
interested in error outputs, they are reproduced at the end of this message)

The conclusion is: it is definitely NOT an easy task to build the RCS suite
using Cygwin -- even following the instructions contained on the "GNUWin32
Package Report" (GW32PR). I'm just stating that so that people know that the
GW32PR needs some updating.

But, all my (and other people's) effort has not been in vain: digging the
mailing list archives, I found a reference to a precompiled RCS suite for
b20
(http://www.delorie.com/archives/browse.cgi?p=cygwin/1999/07/27/15:24:31). I
have just downloaded it (from
http://paddington.ic.uva.nl/public/rcs-5.7-cygwin-b20-bin.tar.bz2), and the
basic tests (check-in, rcsdiff, rlog) all did well. Looks like this is it,
but after making some wrong assumptions last time, I'd rather be more
cautious this time... I strongly encourage you to give this package a try,
and let me know if you have any troubles.

To all the people at Cygwin, and the many contributors, keep the great work
=)

Best regards,

Costa
--
André Oliveira da Costa
([email-masked])

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Eran Leshem [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, November 12, 1999 10:57 AM
> To: Andr? Oliveira da Costa
> Subject: RE: [FIXED] Symbolic links & RCS
>
>
> This is great news! I'd like that too. Can you please make it available
> somehow? Send it to me in email?
>
> Thanks.
>
> 		Eran Leshem

===================================
To the curious, some output of my tries with the RCS suite I compiled
myself:

[ /cade/Weather\ Channel/src ] rlog genhtml.c
rlog: RCS/genhtml.c,v:1: unexpected end of file
rlog aborted

[ /cade/Weather\ Channel/src ] ls -l RCS
total 6
-rw-r--r--   1 544      everyone    11099 Nov 12 09:29 genhtml._
-r--r--r--   1 544      everyone        0 Nov 12 09:29 genhtml.c,v

[ /cade/Weather\ Channel/src ] ls -l *genhtml.c*
-rw-r--r--   1 544      everyone        0 Nov 12 10:10 ,genhtml.c,
-rw-r--r--   1 544      everyone    10906 Nov 12 10:10 genhtml.c

[ /cade/Weather\ Channel/src ] mount
Device           Directory           Type        Flags
C:               /                   native      text=binary

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]