Subject: Re: Editors
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Geoff Appleby <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 00:15:48 -0500

On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 09:16:42AM +1100, Geoff Appleby wrote:
>This is interestign actually.  When I first installed cygwin, i noticed
>there was no vi.  So i figured it would be my first test of the
>product, so i grabbed the source code for vim that was used for one of
>our solaris boxes, untarred and made it.  all worked fine, not a
>problem, except for one strange thing - at the bottom of the screen it
>always says "OOPS".  Buggered if I know why.  Then i installed inetd
>and stuff, telnetted into the box and tried to vi something - nothing
>happened.  it was as if it froze.  I hit control-c and i got a prompt
>back, but was confused.  then i discovered that the environment was
>different for remote users, and was being pointed at the vi that comes
>with the NT Resourrce Kit.  Dodgy! :) Can only work locally.  Anyway,
>that's my two cents :)
>
>Chris Faylor wrote:
>>
>>If you want to use a VIM that is cygwin-aware, e.g., able to be used
>>over telnet, understands cygwin paths, etc.  you'll need to either use
>>the VI that comes with the Cygwin CD ( http://www.cygnus.com/cygwin )
>>or download something from one of the links pointed to on the cygwin
>>sourceware home page ported software page (
>>http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin ).  Michael Weiser's site should
>>hold a version of vim.

Oops.  I meant Michael Hirmke's site here, sorry Michael.

I am sure that his vim will work fine with telnet without any "OOPS"
problems.  I know that the one on the CD does, to.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]