Subject: Re: Snapshot and CD compatibility problems
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Steve Jorgensen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 16:31:20 -0400

On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 02:13:52PM -0600, Steve Jorgensen wrote:
>Chris Faylor wrote
>>> On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 09:36:33AM -0600, Steve Jorgensen wrote:
>>> >	Well, I created a /etc/passwd and /etc/group.  I guess my
>>> >	confuse lies in that all I did was change the DLL, I didn't mess
>>> >	with the CYGWIN variable or any of the other cygwin settings/config
>>> >	files.  Does the CD cygwin1.dll have different defaults than
>>> >	the snapshot?
>>> 
>>> Yes.  The default is "nontsec" on the Cygwin CD.  The snapshots have had
>>> "ntsec" turned on so that people will test it.
>
>	Ok, well, I went back and played with the 10/25/1999 snapshot dll,
>	and setting nontsec vs ntsec.  If I use nontsec, this mode
>	causes the dll to change permissions on files I write out such that
>	I can't write to those files again.  If I leave it in ntsec mode and
>	add appropriate /etc/passwd entries, it works, but file access is
>	slower, presumable because it is looking up permissions.
>
>	Is there any way to get the snapshot to work under "nontsec" as the
>	CD version did?

The "nontsec" code on the snapshot is equivalent to the CD.  I just
turned off the ntsec on the CD.

I don't know what you're referring to when you say that this causes the
"DLL to change permissions".  What are the permissions?  Can you give
an example?

>	I'm not real clear on what it means when you say that the DLL
>	is compatible, but the library and object files may not be, but
>	I'm guessing there is something else I need to do when I play
>	with snapshots.

The DLL is compatible with older executables.  Executables are files
whose filename ends in ".exe".

Older object files and libraries may not be compatible with the DLL.
They may refer to globals that have been moved from libcygwin.a into
the DLL itself.

That means that you have to recompile them.  Object files are filenames
that end in '.o'.  Libraries are filenames which end with '.a'.

If you still don't get this, then maybe somebody else on the list can
try to explain.  I'm pretty much explained out.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]