Subject: Re: speed
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]>
Cc: Mike MacDonald <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 22:25:29 -0400

On Tue, Oct 26, 1999 at 10:02:31AM -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>
>
>--- Mike MacDonald <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I'm running a snapshot from a couple weeks ago, and it runs pretty slow..
>> Have the new snapshots sped up?  Is there anything I can do to speed things
>> up?   I think that the B20.1 version was alot faster.
>> 
>
>I had downloaded the 10/22 snapshot and thought it to be much faster.  I did
>notice that there is a lot more activity with every mounted device.  I'm not
>currently in a position to explain further but maybe later today I can look at
>it again.
>
>Based on what I noticed and am thinking, if you have a networked path it could
>be slower.  Try adding `mount a:\\ /a' to the list and watch what happens to
>the diskette drive when you do `ls' from the root directory.

If that is the case, I've probably screwed something up.  I went to some
pains to optimize the reading of files so that we didn't hit a disk multiple
times for one file open or stat or whatever.

Btw, I've moved this to the appropriate mailing list.  This has nothing
to do with XFree86.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]