Subject: Re: Snapshot and CD compatibility problems
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Steve Jorgensen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 22:00:18 -0400

On Tue, Oct 26, 1999 at 05:18:41PM -0600, Steve Jorgensen wrote:
>Ok, so I switched to the 10/25/1999 cygwin dll, to get fixes for the
>unlink and perl problem.  However, now it really messes up the file
>permissions on any file I write to (making access return -1 when it
>checks for write access the next time).  Many programs I run kind of
>hang for a while before actually beginning to run.  Also, ls reports
>different values permissions on the snapshot.  For the cygwin1.dll from
>the CD, it reports non-executable files as mode 644.  With the
>10/25/1999 snapshot, it reports 777 on all files.

I think I will quit my job and devote the rest of my life to answering
this question.

If the DLL is named cygwin1.dll, it is compatible with any program linked
earlier than the DLL.  It is not necessarily compatible with object files
or libraries.

The problem you are seeing is probably due to the fact that CYGWIN=ntsec
is on by default.  This requires you to have a valid /etc/passwd and
/etc/group.  Set the environment variable CYGWIN=nontsec to avoid this.

I don't know about the pause, though.  I don't see that here.  Possibly
it is due to ntsec searching a Windows domain.

>Is it just incompatible to use snapshot dll's with the cygwin CD
>binaries?  Also, it doesn't look like the gcc compiler that comes with
>the CD is the same as the one all the web pages recommends (2.9 vs
>2.95).  Is there a reason why 2.95 wasn't put on the CD?  Should I move
>to that compiler?

We included the CodeFusion version of the compiler which has additional
optimizations for Pentium IIs.  It should produce smaller, faster code.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]