Subject: Re: X11R6.4 for Cygwin Release v1.0? (And thanks)
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: "Charles S. Wilson" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 09:37:26 -0400

On Sun, Oct 24, 1999 at 08:21:00AM -0400, Charles S. Wilson wrote:
>
>> 
>> The link errors that you were getting are due to the fact that *object*
>> files and *libraries* are not necessarily compatible.  i don't know
>> about the STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION problem, however.
>> 
>
>So *object* files and *libraries* developed using the following
>platforms are mutually incompatible?
>
>1) cygwin-b20.1
>2) recent snapshots
>3) Cygwin CD 1.0
>4) cygwin-b21

We guarantee that a recent cygwin1.dll will work with any program or DLL
which loads it.

We do not guarantee that object files or libraries produced by a
previous version of cygwin/gcc will be usable with a new DLL or cygwin
stub library.  In particular, we may decide to add an additional symbol
to the DLL/stub library for export.

So, if your object file has been using the 'foo' routine from the stub
library and was essentially statically linking it into your program,
it will be confused by the fact that the 'foo' routine is now exported
by the DLL.  That is apparently what is happening here.

The solution is to recompile from source.

I am not going to provide an exhaustive list of what's compatible with
what.  However, it's likely that B20 object files are incompatible with
snapshots or the Cygwin CD.  It's likely that files produced using
snapshots from the last couple of months will work with the Cygwin CD.

In short, if it links, you're ok.  If it doesn't, recompile.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]