Subject: Re: X11R6.4 for Cygwin Release v1.0? (And thanks)
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Brian Kasper <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 23:21:33 -0400

On Sat, Oct 23, 1999 at 09:13:19AM -0700, Brian Kasper wrote:
>Greetings.
>
>I've been using Cygwin B20.1 for a while now with an X11R6.4
>distribution (I *believe* it is Suhaib M.  Siddiqi's 11 May
>distribution, but I downloaded it so long ago that I've forgotten the
>original source).  I've had great success with this setup and have been
>able to port without modification some very complex X/Motif
>applications from Linux boxes to NT.
>
>I recently purchased Cygwin v1.0 on CD-ROM and installed it on a fresh
>WinNT 4.0sp5 box.  I downloaded Mr.  Siddiqi's X11 distribution and
>another and tried both.  Unfortunately, I downloaded the other
>distribution late at night the day before yesterday, and I abashedly
>have to admit I don't remember the source.  In any event, I cannot
>successfully link with the unknown distribution -- I receive this
>error:
>
>/usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.a(ResConvert.o)(.text+0x1ac2):ResConvert.c:
>undefined refer ence to `_ctype_'
>/usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.a(ResConvert.o)(.text+0x1ae2):ResConvert.c: more
>undefined references to `_ctype_' follow
>
>I am able to successfully link with Mr.  Siddiqi's distribution, but
>when I run the resulting executable, I consistently experience this
>error:
>
>0       0 [main] e:\people\kasper\src\ximgview\cygwin\ximgview.exe
>1006 hand le_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION 0 12723
>[main] ximgview 1006 stackdump: Dumping stack trace to ximgview.ex
>e.stackdump
>
>I am assuming there have been enough modifications to the release
>version of Cygwin that compatibility with these B20-specific libraries
>has been broken.

There were no modifications made to the cygwin on the Cygwin CD which
would account for this.  If the DLL is named cygwin1.dll it's compatible
with any executable that is older than it is.

The link errors that you were getting are due to the fact that *object*
files and *libraries* are not necessarily compatible.  i don't know
about the STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION problem, however.

>I'd also like to express my thanks to the folks at Cygnus and the net
>developers who have obviously worked so hard on Cygwin and the
>contributed software.  I'm hoping Cygnus has sold enough copies of
>Cygwin v1.0 to justify adding resources to the project.  Cygwin is an
>incredibly useful package which makes using WinNT almost sane.

Well, it hasn't sold nearly enough yet but preliminary results are
encouraging.

-chris

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]