Subject: Re: B20.1: Thread support seems to be broken in 'gdb'
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]>
Cc: Jon Leichter <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 13:45:32 -0400

On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 09:37:28PM -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>--- Jon Leichter <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I know that Cygwin is not thread safe. I was under the assumption that this
>> specifically applies to the Cygwin DLL, which I am not using in the sample
>> that I've provided. My sample is a pure Mingw32 compiled program and does not
>> use the Cygwin DLL. The resulting binary IS supported because the threads are
>> managed by Win32 DLLs.
>> 
>> The issue is whether or not (Cygwin's provided) 'gdb' is supposed to handle
>> threads. As I pointed out, Mingw32's distribution of 'gdb' has no problem
>> debugging threads. It seems reasonable to expect the same from Cygwin's
>> distribution.
>> 
>
>But how can a non-thread safe package debug a package using threads?  The
>cygwin gdb uses cygwin, the mingw32 gdb does not.  And Chris Faylor would say
>"patches are gratefully accepted".

:-)  I don't remember if the gdb in B20.1 is capable of handling threads but
if you build a version from a sourceware snapshot it will work.  I haven't
tried thread breakpoints though, so it's possible that those are broken.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]