Subject: Re: Licensing question
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 16:04:19 -0400

On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 01:48:55PM -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
>I have a question regarding the statement, "if you intend to port a commercial
>(non-GPL'd) application using Cygwin, you will need the commercial license to
>Cygwin that comes with the supported native Win32 GNUPro product".  What
>licensing restrictions apply if you plan on using the Unix utilities only, and
>will not be developing applications that use the cygwin?

Actually, the "UNIX utilities" use Cygwin.  Since most of them are
distributed under the GPL, you will need to provide the sources for the
binaries that you are distributing.  This would include things like
make, gcc, gdb, awk, and cygwin1.dll itself.

FYI, unless you are compiling programs using gcc with the -mno-cygwin option,
your binaries are using cygwin.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]