Subject: Re: 1999-Oct-15 Snapshot is Great
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: DJ Delorie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 08:57:14 -0400

On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 07:42:38AM -0400, Glenn Spell wrote:
>>From the 99-Oct-15 Changelog:
>Thu Oct 14 23:46:03 1999 Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
>        * fhandler.cc (fhandler_base::read): Fix potential buffer
>        overrun.  Fix end of buffer problems when \r is not followed
>        by a \n.
>
>Thanks Chris, Cygwin is looking better and better.

You're welcome.  I'm surprised that this problem was causing you
problems.  I had assumed that it was an unlikely boundary condition.  It
was found by one of our engineers who was investigating \r\n handling in
newlib.  He diagnosed the problem from looking at the code, which is
always impressive.

>(BTW, congratulations on the new release.)

Thanks.

>Here's a little story that relates to the above fix. Back in August,
>I spent hours and hours trying to come up with a small 'more' for
>Cygwin. The Cygwin port of less doesn't seem to deal with wrapped
>lines properly and besides, it's just too big. I've been using a
>port of BSD pmake for some time. I took that and went to work on
></NetBSD-current/src/distrib/utils/more.tar.gz>.  It builds fine with
>an executable size of just 28K. But I could not figure out how to get
>it to handle line endings properly.  I finally gave up on it. I just
>figured it was related to Win95 and lseek.
>
>Then, I converted an old less version 178 to more, including a
>'morekey' :-), so I could use both it and the newer less with no
>interference. The size of this one is 48.5K. It works great.
>
>When I read that changelog I remembered the problems with the small
>NetBSD more... so I pulled it out of mothballs and...  it too works
>great! No more problems with line endings.

It's possible that this is due to some of the changes I've been making
to tty/console handling, also.

>BTW, where did you get the more and other BSD stuff that's included
>on the CD?

Dunno.  DJ can you tell Glenn where you got "more"?

>I've also got a small vi, 83.5K. It's a port of a tiny Elvis, version
>1.4 that I got from Debian. My intent is to make this stuff available
>when I get time.

Let us know and we'll put it on our "ported software" web page.

-- 
[email-masked]
http://www.cygnus.com/

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]